Bright-eyed in Five
Running on almost zero z’s and need to look bright-eyed and bushy-tailed … when you’re currently rocking the zombie look? I hear you! I’m a mama to two pre-tweens and a toddler, and I couldn’t tell you what I’d give for a good night’s sleep right now.
Thankfully though, I have a few tricks up my sleeve so even if I can’t actually snap up a full forty winks, I can fake the perfect night’s sleep.
Ready for my secrets?
Step 1. Chill out
Literally. Chilled tonics are your best-friend right now. This is because cold water* boosts circulation, giving you an effortlessly natural glow.
You can pre-freeze five-minute tonics and keep them stored for those ‘ugh, how is it six am already?!’ days.
Tonics to try:
- Chamomile or green tea, brewed, strained and frozen into ice cubes. Gently massage around eye area for two-minutes. Perfect for puffy eyes!
- Grate cucumber, mix with aloe vera gel and freeze into ice cubes. Gently massage around eye area for two-minutes. Perfect for tightening and soothing skin.
- Soak two cotton pads in rose water and freeze for five to ten-minutes. Place over eyes and relax for five-minutes. Perfect for dark circles and puffy eyes.
Make sure you don’t apply the ice cubes directly to your face though. Instead, use a soft face cloth or clean paper towel and wrap it around the ice cube.
Otherwise if you’re short on time and don’t have any tonics pre-prepared, just fill your bathroom basin with cold water, add in ice cubes and immerse your face for ten to twenty-seconds at a time.
You’ll emerge wide awake and with smaller pores, make-up ready skin and bright eyes!
Best of all, you can sing ‘The cold never bothered me anyway’ while you soothe your sleepy eyeballs and get a giggle out of your little ones.
Step 2. Cover up
Now that your skin has been prepped, you can add the finishing touches.
- Investing in a high-quality broad-spectrum sunscreen like COOLA Mineral Face SPF30 and using it every day. Be careful around the eye area, but definitely don’t skip it.
- Choosing an orange-based concealer to counteract dark circles. I love the RMS "UN" Cover-Up.
- Use a white – or nude – highlighter and use as eyeliner. This will brighten up your eye area. My fave is RMS Living Luminizer.
Then admire your reflection, because I guarantee you’ll be looking young, beautiful and well-rested!
*P.S. Don’t forget to drink at least eight glasses of water a day. By keeping your skin hydrated, you’ll improve its texture and appearance.